Thursday, March 4, 2010

Gundrak, with no Tank!

Sorry I haven't posted for a while to all zero of you who I know read this, but I have had a single minded determination to reach level 80 and hence I am now level 77. The other reason I haven't posted is because nothing really all that remarkable has happened. It just been your ordinary grind. I use the dungeon finder whenever the horde has Wintergrasp and when it doesn't I quest. This is because I am saving up Stonekeeper's shards to buy some heirloom for a PVP character I want to start after I reach level 80 and I've already got 201 so far before reaching level 80 and at first I didn't think you could earn them until you got there. Anyway something really cool happened in an instance called Gundrak recently, which made me realize something about hunters.

So we got into the Gundrak instance, which I have done a dozen times now and it was the usual ordinary grind with a Tank that was mediocre but at least not impossible to keep alive when after the 2nd boss he left the group. So we waited and waited and after about 5 minutes a new tank had not shown up. So because we were impatient we decided to go ahead without a tank for now and cleared a few groups of mobs without too much trouble and then stopped before the 3rd boss and waited again.

A total of about 12 minutes now and we still didn't have a tank, so we tried our luck at the boss and won. I didn't even break much of a sweat and kept anyone from coming close to dying and so we became more confident and continued on. The hunter who was using a wolf decided to change his pet to a turtle, cool that made sense now we have a makeshift tank and I applied my normal single target rotation to the turtle instead of a player and it work a wonder. We got through all the mobs and were now before the final boss.

To put it short we killed it quite easily and probably would have even done so without the turtle but the really funny part of this story is that right before the boss died at 10% health a tank arrived into the instance and 5 seconds later we killed the final boss. We laughed that a tank had finally arrived and congratulated each other and I told the tank "lol too late did it without a tank" and he replied "that's cool I got my exp, gold and emblems, Oh well bye then". I laughed my ass off. It must have been really cool to arrive at an instance and instantly finish it and get all the rewards too.

But yeah those tenacity pet aren't too bad at tanking when the going gets tough makes me wonder why a hunter can't nominate to be a tank. But obviously it would be pointless to give then the option if they can't measure up to true tanks.

So anyway this has been Xandiaver the Undead Priest of the Odyssey Guild in Nagrand reporting on yet another of I'm sure many reports on getting through an instance without a key role present.

I wonder if a group could go without a healer. I think it may be possible as I've had groups that took so little damage that I didn't have much to do except contribute a little dps.

No comments:

Post a Comment